Friday, April 26, 2013

Bestselling Thriller Authors Confess Their Biggest Fears


By Nathan Rostron, Published: April 19, 2013

516dc93decbaddd1e100002c
Ever wonder what the authors of the creepiest, scariest and most suspenseful stories are most frightened of?

Mystery Writers of America has published a new book called "The Mystery Box," edited by Brad Meltzer, which collects locked-box stories--a strongbox, an empty coffin, an underground prison cell and more--by some of today's top writers of suspense. We got four of "The Mystery Box" contributors--Meltzer, "Goosebumps" author R.L. Stine, Laura Lippman and Charles Todd--to open up about the fears that keep them up at night.

Laura Lippman:
My worst fear used to be that I would die in a plane crash while working at the Waco Tribune-Herald and that my own paper would describe me in the headline as "Waco woman, 118 others, dead in crash." But I left Waco, the setting for my story, in 1983, albeit under very different circumstances. Now, although not particularly claustrophobic, I am scared of submarines. I am so scared of submarines that I cannot watch submarine films, with the exception of "Fantastic Voyage." I did manage to suck it up and tour a dry-docked one while in the company of my then-11-year-old stepson, but that's about as far as I can go. If the result of climate change is that we have to live/travel underwater--well, then I am truly sunk.

More

No comments: