Sunday, April 20, 2008


NOTHING TO LOSE
Lee Child – Bantam Press - $36.99

Random House publicist Jennifer Balle decided it was high time I was introduced to Jack Reacher, Lee Child’s likeable tough-guy protagonist now starring in his 12 novel.
Gosh I started reading it after I had finished the Sunday papers and finally complteted it in bed late on Sunday night. Totally unputdownable. Thanks Jennifer.

And I see that following its NewZealand release two weeks ago it has gone straight to the top of the international fiction bestseller list. I’m not at all surprised.

Jack Reacher is a six foot five former military policeman, a total expert in unarmed combat, intelligent, decent, and totally addicted to coffee.
Jack, you are a winner mate, I’m hooked and will, as time permits, progressively read of your exploits in the earlier books.

One thing that really surprised me is that Lee Child is a British writer, (born in Coventry), whereas his protagonist Jack Reacher is totally American and this novel is set in the US, as I assume the earlier titles were?
Child certainly has the US vernacular and countryside off pat and I can only assume he has been a longtime U.S resident.
If you like action packed thrillers then don’t miss this one.

No comments: