Friday, May 18, 2007

ALAN GARNER, EXTRAORDINARY AUTHOR

Overnight the Guardian has published a Sarah Kitson interview with Alan Garner. I first came across him in my bookselling days when his children's book Owl Service was a standard backlist title. It was first published in 1967 and in 1968 was awarded both the Guardian Prize and the Carnegie Medal.

The unofficial Alan Garner website is worth a visit.

The Eamonn McCabe author photo is from the Guardian.

Veteran Timaru bookseller Jeff Grigor has just advised me that Kate de Goldi will be talking about Alan Garner and his books tomorrow morning (Saturday) at 11.45am with Kim Hill on Radio New Zealand National. I'll be listening. Kate is always great value with her regular talks on kids books with the Queen of the Airwaves.

1 comment:

Meliors Simms said...

I heard Kate and Kim talking about Alan Garner in the weekend and it made me want to go back and reread all his books (expecially the wonderful essays about his life). I had much the same response to The Owl Service as Kate as a child, so it was good to know I wasn't the only one.