Wednesday, April 04, 2007

MONOCLE VOL.2 IS OUT

Following my raves about Tyler Brulee’s new magazine Monocle last month I’m pleased to say volume 2 has hit the street.

I hope they are going to get their New Zealand distribution sorted because it would seem that at present only a handful of copies are coming into the country and as a result most Kiwi visitors to my blog have not yet seen it.

A pity as it is a great magazine on world affairs covering many topics that are not yet on the radar screens of the mainstream media.

The Easter holidays are approaching so I’m putting my copy aside to read then but in a sneaky skim through it I notice NZ’s Prime Minister gets two pages under the heading:

Style Leader No.2 – She wears the trousers.

The preface to the story reads:

In the second of our series decoding power dressing we look at NZ’s Prime Minister Helen Clark In an appearance-fixated world, she is a startlingly low-key, practical dresser. But touched-up election campaign photographs and a softer wardrobe hint she knows that sometimes glam sells.

And I like this piece further on in the mainly flattering story:

This superlative politician, with a Clintonian memory and grasp of detail, but none of his smooth charisma, will now work a room where once she could be found in a corner discussing arcane agricultural susidies.
The confidence will be useful in the 2008 election, where she will face the smooth, sharp-suited John Key, who has charisma in spades.



Helen Clark pic from her Wikipedia webite.


More from me about Monocle 2 after Easter.

No comments: